AsusWRT Merlin router firmware is an improvement over the stock Asus firmware with many new features and bug fixes. By installing the Asus Merlin Firmware your router will retain even the current settings, so there is no worry that you will need to re-configure your router after the update.
Asuswrt-merlin officially supports the following router models:
- RT-AC68P (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
(Note: the U, R and W variants are all supported, as they are the exact same hardware and firmware, only different marketing SKUs or different case color)
How to Install the AsusWRT Merlin router firmware:
- Log into your Asus router Admin by accessing http://192.168.1.1
- Go to Administration-> Restore/Save/Upload Setting and save your current router settings to a file by clicking the SAVE button.
- Download the latest AsusWRT Merlin firmware for your router model from http://drivers.softpedia.com/downloadTag/AsusWrt-Merlin
- After you have downloaded the firmware open the ZIP file and extract the .TRX file to your desktop or to a folder where you can find it.
- Log into your Asus router and go to Administration->Firmware Upgrade and click the Choose File button and then upload.
- If your router is not working correctly then reset your router from the router reset button and then import your saved settings.
- It is possible that sometimes the saved settings to not work in the new firmware and in this case you need to re-configure your router.
NOTE: We cannot be held responsible if you damage your router by upgrading to this firmware, use this information at your own risk.